On Spicy Candy DC, I talked about our night at the Washingtonian Style Setters events. While we had a lot of fun, I want to recap the event from an events perspective this time.
Let’s talk about some things they did right:
- The style setters were a great mix of males and females that march to their own drummers and dare to break the rules.
- DJ Neekola is always a wonderful choice, she is an awesome DJ, I always catch myself bobbing or dancing along and I never think oh I can’t wait for this track to be over. Plus she’s seems beautiful inside and out, always quick to say hello and smile.
- Style Setters is always a great crowd of familiar faces that I enjoying seeing and new people to meet.
- The W Hotel is a great space and your after party is only an elevator ride away.
- I always love when people feed me.
Some things they could have done better:
- I love the idea of a Bubbly Bar but if you are gonna call it a bar, I expect some fruits and other edible decorations for my glass to personalize and give it some pizazz. What we had was a pouring station, and they ran out of glasses… A common issue at a crowded party with drinkers and sadly people don’t remember full glasses, they remember empty ones.
Things that went left:
- The sound – once the presentation started and the sound was cutting in and out… the whole time… like imagine the mic was on strobe light setting and that’s what it sounded like. Solution: Do many mic checks or stop and regroup because they completely lost the crowd.
- The outfits from Bloomingdale’s were not my favorite either. I didn’t even take pictures because it was not my style at all, they were a bit cliched and catalog(y). Something I would expect to see in a catalog but not at a style setters event. Solution: Let some of the style setters pick out or style the outfits from Bloomingdale’s. Even better, have all of them style outfits the week before the event and have them on Instagram, twitter and Facebook and the one with the most likes get displayed at the event. Fun, engaging, and definitely more stylish than the traditional metallic holiday dress and frumpy mid length skirt and cape.
Overall I love the Washingtonian and they put on great events but the devil is in the details and the details got them this time. Congrats though to all of the wonderful people who got spot lighted for helping the district look good!!